Friday, August 17, 2007

Easy, routine, unavoidable...

I'm not drunk right now though I'm pretty sure I was earlier today, definitely when I first woke up this morning at 7:45 when I opened my eyes to realise that my alarm had not been set and I was rolling out of bed when I should have been rolling out the door. No shave, a very quick iron on the shirt, no coffee or breakfast (not that I eat breakfast anyway but if I were a person who did so today would not have allowed for that). I don't want to sound like a college guy talking up how wasted he was, but if this page is meant to be a chronicle of the day-to-day then last night's impromptu bar visit needs to be documented. It was definitely a mistake, a wake-up call ironically enough of how out of touch I am with my social life. There was that great time when getting drunk on a week night was easy, routine, unavoidable. Last night, however, turned into a shit storm. Think back to college, remember that first time you got drunk when your gen-eds were all done, maybe the first semester of your junior year, you finally have a class schedule consisting of the classes you want to take, not the ones you have to take and a couple weeks into the semester you find yourself at a bar and feeling good but forget that you haven't been drinking much lately and the tolerance is down but the beer flows easy and the next thing you know it's 2am and your standing in line for pizza? That's what last night was, sans pizza, it was like junior year. It was drinking for the sake of socializing and not for the sake of getting drunk and in doing so I lost sight of how drunk I was getting. $1 beers? Jesus, I forgot that bars serve $1 beers.

Notable Things:
-Crushing hard on a girl with glasses (favorite) but after finally talking to her remarking to a friend that it was like talking to a washing machine, meaning there was noise going back and forth but nothing of substance came of it and it was pretty much a waste of time for both of us. I thought the washing machine line was pretty good at the time, but you sort of had to be there.
-Waking up to find an empty yet shredded box of Frosted Mini Wheat's on the floor of my studio. Not sure what happened there.
-A Caribbean cab driver who was in a genuinely good mood who may or may not have been playing steal drum music during my ride down Clark St. after the bar.
-Telling myself as I left the bar that a walk would be good for me and I didn't need to take a cab. That lasted a block and a half.

Course of Events:
Leaving the apartment at 7:15am, going to work, going to Sears to buy a pair of Levis which were reportedly on sale, going to the other work, hearing the suggestion of $1 beers after work, thinking I have too much to do, deciding a couple of beers not only wouldn't hurt but would in fact be good for me, looking at my watch expecting to see 12:15 and seeing 10:27, discovering I was at a Michigan State bar and getting a little mad, getting excited that the Hawkeyes were coming to Chicago in two weeks and then realizing that I'd been spacing off for a good twelve minutes while thinking about this, getting up to leave so that I could be in bed by midnight, "One more round?" seven times, stumbling into my building just shy of 2:00am, eyes open at 7:45am (as much if not a little extra sleep than I get most week nights), hot shower, Claritin, multi vitamin, Advil, an empty #22 bus signaling how late I was, Dunkin Donuts

This morning I had a check from a freelance job sitting on my desk, so apparently I was coherent enough to check the mail last night but it was news to me.



More to come...

No comments: