Monday, November 13, 2006

Helping Me Crawl...

Since this blog 'o mine is pretty much about my search for motivation in life which sounds over dramatic but that's the best way I can put it, I thought I would share some samples of things which get me through the day. Today is particularly strange at work and my short list for things to do tonight is helping me crawl through the afternoon, and there are two things in particular.

#1. Studio 60...
It's a TV show on the Sunset Strip on NBC. I really, really like this show. For years my mom was telling me to check out the West Wing and I just never got around to it so there was no way I was going to miss this show. The fact that it's subject matter is sketch comedy is just icing on the cake. I'm willing to bet that most people who are ragging on this show, even though it just got picked up into a full season, aren't even watching it. There are plenty of people who would rally against something in pop culture just because it's popular, and everyone who liked the Strokes after their first album and then all of the sudden said they didn't like the Strokes, I'm looking at you.

#2. Condiments
I'm currently crashing on a couch, a futon actually, as I hunt trough the streets of Chicago in search of an address of my own, hopefully with hardwood floors and big windows and the previous tenant left behind a bunch of bookshelves. Of course, when I say "hunt through the streets" I mean to say sit on the couch and look through Craigslist. My temp home is provided by a couple of friends I met through college friends a long time ago and with whom I have since become good friends. Got that? They have both been in Chicago a while and their refrigerator has acquired a healthy amount of condiments and sauces and other random good stuff. I bought some chicken the other night (very boring) cooked it (also boring) and then realized that I hadn't bought anything to put on top of it. In Iowa there is a fantastic barbecue sauce called Cookies, which you can't find in Chicago but it's pretty much my favorite. As the oven timer buzzed I started to feel a weird sense of homesick and missed the simplicity of having my own fridge with my own bottles in it and my own bed instead of a futon in a living room and so on and instead of using that as motivation to find an apartment where I could have my own bed and fridge with honey mustard I instead started to mope. However, this was over fast because as I opened the refrigerator door I began a new and surprising adventure in condiments which I'll continue tonight. Simple Pleasures. If anyone out there has a favorite condiment, I would love for the recommendation. Turns out there is a Trader Joe's near my temp house and I'm guessing they have something worth investigating, though I've never been to Trader Joe's but I've seen it on Food Network.

I need to figure out how to put substantial content into this blog rather than numbing rambles. Maybe I'll find inspiration in some condiments tonight. Thanks for reading. More to come.

No comments: